In most cases no. The unit is programmed to only shock if it detects a ventricular fibrillation (VF or abnormal heart rhythm). Now, if it is wet there would probably be an elevated chance for a shock but it is still rare. The AED will provide audible instructions and let user know when it is going to send the electric shock. Remember – this shock will not start a dead heart, but it will stop certain lethal rhythms and give the heart a chance to spontaneously re-establish an effective rhythm on its own. Wearing any type of rubber gloves (latex or vinyl) will also help lower the chances of a shock while administering an AED.