Usually the manufacturer of your electric wheelchair will advertise a range that the wheelchair or scooter can travel between charges. Usually they will word it as: “between — and — miles”. In most cases it is anywhere from 10 – 20 miles. The range also depends on the users weight, ground level, and temperature. You can fully charge an empty battery overnight (8 hrs). Most new batteries have a life span of approximately 2 years.
To increase the range of your wheelchair battery you can:
- Properly inflated tires (if pneumatic)
- Follow the manufacturer’s charging instructions to a T
- Never run your battery down to zero
- Don’t “top off” the battery
- Charge batteries as soon as possible after use
- Avoid hot and cold temperature extremes
- Use the right type of charger for your battery (gel, wet, etc)
- Always store your batteries with a full charge.